I’ve been slow at updating the page, as I have just recently moved in to new house, and was busy with unpacking and cleaning, and a bunch of other stuff. It’s funny when you’ve gone a few months without really doing your hobby, and the joy of getting to do a bigger project.
I wanted to do something that is a little out of the ordinary for the next few sprites, and after literal hours of searching through game sprites online, I settled for a set from the game “Aaahh!!! Real Monsters” for the SNES/Genesis. This is Krumm in a frame of his “scary” animation. I have Ickys and Oblina coming up next, and I thing they will make for a cool piece.
The “flat” side of this beadsprite came out a little underdone in a few spots, but I always display “bead” side, so it’s not the biggest deal. I prefer to under-do it rather that over-do it. I really like the way it looks, and that I was able to use up some of my supply of plums, pinks, and neon yellows.
I have been making Perler bead art for about 8 months now, and in that span have made about 250 individual pieces of bead-art. I like to make these tutorial videos almost as much as making the beadsprites themselves.
I loved the Ren and Stimpy cartoons and games back in the 90’s. This beadsprite I made was inspired from “The Ren and Stimpy Show: Time Warp” for the SNES.
There was a time when Pac-Man was the most iconic videogame character in America. Some would argue that he still is. There was a breakfast cereal, boardgame with marbles for a plastic Pac-Man to “eat”. Also, the Pac-Family had a Saturday morning cartoon, and a platformer arcade game.
I made this version of Pacman without the goofy hat. If I make him again, I will put the hat back on. I might have fused a little too hot on this, but the flat side came out really good. It’s nearly impossible to keep the black beads from bleeding into the other colors. I think bead height differences might be part of it, or it might be that the black absorbs the heat better and liquefies.
This is the Tiger from Final Fantasy. I think it kinda looks like Red XIII from Final Fantasy 7. I was tempted to make it with colors closer to Red XII in a sort of mash-up, but I stuck to the original colors. (Maybe some other time).
While making this, I was ironing a bunch of Christmas stuff, and wasn’t paying attention to the fact I had yet to poke holes in the tape. I started ironing and noticing that the beads were not closing fully, and to my dismay, no holes. I did a quick flip and poke, and was able to salvage it. There is some noticeable bead bleed on the top of the tail, on the flat side, but overall, it still came out well. The oranges and yellow contrasted with the black border really makes it “pop”.
Even after practicing with the masking tape method, and failing with my Excitebike test first, I still thought it would be okay to iron this Butthead anyways. I should have known it wouldn’t work; I just assumed that I didn’t iron it right.
When I got about 2/3 of the way through, I decided that something needed to change.
The reason that these holes wouldn’t close is because the air was getting trapped inside the beads because the masking tape was creating a seal, resulting in an air bubble inside.
Make sure to put something on the medium/heavy side on top of your perler immediately after fuse; if you don’t, the will warp at the edges, and you will have to heat it back up to get it to lay flat again. I’ve seen other people use heavier items like dictionaries, but I don’t see the benefit. I’ve had success with DVDs and smallish books.
If you can, take your creation off the pegboard before it’s cooled (don’t burn your fingers!) and lay it on a piece of parchment paper, give it a few passes with the iron to heat it up a little before putting another piece of parchment on top, and then applying the weight.
It doesn’t take much weight, all you really need is a couple of DVDs or books. 15-30 minutes should be fine to let it cool.
I got this bad boy from the Goodwill. It seems to work well enough.
I set mine right in the middle. At that setting, it seems to melt the beads at a good rate. I like that it is a smaller iron and not too heavy, but I have a feeling a heavier iron would do a better job. I plan to get a thermometer I can measure the temperature with so I can get an optimal setting.