Here is part 2 of 2.
I love Blizzard games, and have played pretty much everything from Lost Vikingsand the original Warcraft, to their most current game, Overwatch.
I wasn’t originally going to play Overwatch until it had some extra content or a price drop, but when I started seeing the reviews and fan reaction, I picked it up and only stopped playing long enough to make this Bastion Perler piece. =)
Bastion is a transforming assault robot who is looking for his place in the world a decade after the war he was created for is over. This sprite is based on the “8-bit spray” that is unlocked in a Loot Box for leveling up, and when I unlocked it, I knew I had to make and post this. It took about 6 hours to bead and iron, and I will be posting a video on YouTube of the masking tape prep and ironing.
Perched on his recon rifle is his bird friend Ganymede.
This is the second in the series of the single the single bucket challenge. I have a long term goal of creating ten of these over the next few years. My first piece like this was a simple pattern, and I was thinking the whole time that the houndstooth pattern looked an awful lot like the ships from Space Invaders, and was inspired.
I worked out most of the design from a screenshot found online of the ships in formation, added the Mystery Ship looming large in the background, plotted out the curve of the “Earth” and continents (not to scale). The big challenge here was to use all the colors while creating a design spontaneously.
It took about 25 hours to sort the beads, 30 to lay out the design, and 3 to tape and iron.
Two sheets of Reynolds Parchment paper covered it nicely. Getting read for a long ironing session. It’s stressful as all getout, and I have to switch up arms. Big stack of books on the ready. Yes I have a functional candy machine in my house.I buy these books half off at Goodwill. No I didn’t read the Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh books. =)
It’s been over a month since I have updated the blog here, and for good reason. This monstrosity is the result of taking a full bucket of 22k beads, separating them, and then making one single piece. There were 22,172 beads in total.
Here is the completed art. I wanted to make something with a simple repeating pattern that would be easy to put together, and Houndstooth is one of my favorite tessellating patterns. (shout out to whomever added Ricky from Trailer Park Boys to the Wikipedia entry).
I started by ordering the colors in ROYGBIV, and then alternating dark and light colors. I think I could have come up with a better color arrangement, but I didn’t want to pain over what the final finished product would be, but simply wanted to get it done.
I ran out of peg boards pretty quick, but fortunately, the local Joann’s had a sale going, so I was able to get everything I needed. The pattern quickly started to expand, and I was only able to estimate how big it would get.
There were way more of some colors than others. Almost twice as many greys as there were yellows.
Just starting the ironing at this point. I knew it was going to take several hours to complete. I started ironing it like a normal “smaller” piece, but quickly determined that I needed to turn up the heat and get it done quickly.
This whole project was quite the undertaking, but I knew the first time would be a challenge, and I would learn a lot from it. I plan on making at least 3 more big Perler bead pieces like this in the future, with different designs, and I am confident they will turn out much better.
Here is part 2 of the Donkey Kong and King Koopa. You check out the guide to prepare them for ironing with the Masking Tape Method here. Let me know what you think of these videos in the comments. =)
New tutorial for the Masking Tape Method posted to YouTube. I’lll be getting the ironing video up sometime next week. Let me know what you think.
I have been making Perler bead art for about 8 months now, and in that span have made about 250 individual pieces of bead-art. I like to make these tutorial videos almost as much as making the beadsprites themselves.
I loved the Ren and Stimpy cartoons and games back in the 90’s. This beadsprite I made was inspired from “The Ren and Stimpy Show: Time Warp” for the SNES.
I don’t want to totally pollute the blog with individual links of *all* of my Final Fantasy beadsprites individually. From clockwise is Evilman, Sea Snake, Image, and Catman. The Image got taped on the wrong side, and is mirrored, it should be facing back to the party. You would likely have not noticed this if I hadn’t told you, but, when the other palette swaps on that monster get made, they will be facing correctly.
I have more cool stuff coming up in the next few weeks, including possibly a giveaway if there is enough interest in the comments for one.
Also, I found out that my series on the masking tape method is the #1 search result for the search “Perler” in YouTube . That is a huge achievement for me, at the time of this posting the video has over 6000 views in it’s first five months, and it looks like I am going to hit my milestone of 10k views for a single video soon. =)
I like the new workstation and webcam setup. I was able to record 2 hours of good video and compress it down to this. I will definitely keep up these types of videos.
I’m working on having a whole set of perler ornaments to put onto the tree this year, this one had to be one of my favorites. They have to be small in size to not overpower the tree, but expressive enough to show the holiday spirit.
I will also be making 8-bit traditional bulbs, candy canes, gingerbread men and non directly videogame related stuff for the next month and a half, and once a day from thanksgiving until xmas morning a holiday related post.