Here is part 2 of 2.
This is the second in the series of the single the single bucket challenge. I have a long term goal of creating ten of these over the next few years. My first piece like this was a simple pattern, and I was thinking the whole time that the houndstooth pattern looked an awful lot like the ships from Space Invaders, and was inspired.
I worked out most of the design from a screenshot found online of the ships in formation, added the Mystery Ship looming large in the background, plotted out the curve of the “Earth” and continents (not to scale). The big challenge here was to use all the colors while creating a design spontaneously.
It took about 25 hours to sort the beads, 30 to lay out the design, and 3 to tape and iron.
Two sheets of Reynolds Parchment paper covered it nicely. Getting read for a long ironing session. It’s stressful as all getout, and I have to switch up arms. Big stack of books on the ready. Yes I have a functional candy machine in my house.I buy these books half off at Goodwill. No I didn’t read the Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh books. =)
Here is part 2 of the Donkey Kong and King Koopa. You check out the guide to prepare them for ironing with the Masking Tape Method here. Let me know what you think of these videos in the comments. =)
I have been making Perler bead art for about 8 months now, and in that span have made about 250 individual pieces of bead-art. I like to make these tutorial videos almost as much as making the beadsprites themselves.
I loved the Ren and Stimpy cartoons and games back in the 90’s. This beadsprite I made was inspired from “The Ren and Stimpy Show: Time Warp” for the SNES.
A few months back, I picked up a few “Super Pegboards“. I don’t use them quite as much as I could, but they do come in handy. It’s nice to not have to link a bunch of boards together, and it makes it way easier to transport. The packaging for the super pegboard comes with a scale example of a Macaw Parrot (picture) you can make, so I stepped up to the challenge.
This is by far one of the more challenging pieces to make. The colors are many and complex in placement. It took me just over 2 hours. I think it would have been quicker, but I was trying out my new workstation setup on the desk, and the lighting isn’t the greatest.
Over on the Reddit Beadsprite forum http://www.reddit.com/r/beadsprites a conversation started up about the “Parrot Green” Perler color that of course led to repeating lines from the classic Monty Python sketch, which was the inspiration I needed to give it a shot. I really like the way it came out.
My 8 year old son loves Terraria above all other videogames. He will play it in his room for hours on end. He knows all the best online videos to watch, knows every recipe for items, and how to beat all of the bosses. If I have time these next few weeks, I might make a couple variations on this guy.
I like how both the bead and the flat side came out on this Perler creation. The dark browns and blacks always have issues with the flat fuse, but the smaller the piece, the fewer the issues. I will likely be making this into a fridge magnet.
This is the latest in a series of tutorials for building and ironing perler bead creations. There is a focus on the ironing as well as a new method for poking holes. The song in the beginning is written by me, and the other two songs by Silent Partner and Topher Mohr and Alex Elena.
What other tutorials should I make?
My favorite part of making Perler beadsprites is being able to give them to friends and family. Keychains are by far the most popular of the gifts, as they have an actual use, can be highly personalized, and if made correctly, can last a while. I have a Mario coin on my keychain that I think is one of the coolest things ever. =)
I made these to give away to friends and coworkers. the tongue out winky was by far the most well received. The recipient says that everyone who sees it, loves it, and loves that it is something handmade, not store bought.
I will be making a tutorial video on this soon, and will update this post with a link to the video.
Even after practicing with the masking tape method, and failing with my Excitebike test first, I still thought it would be okay to iron this Butthead anyways. I should have known it wouldn’t work; I just assumed that I didn’t iron it right.
When I got about 2/3 of the way through, I decided that something needed to change.
The reason that these holes wouldn’t close is because the air was getting trapped inside the beads because the masking tape was creating a seal, resulting in an air bubble inside.