Here is part 2 of 2.
I love Blizzard games, and have played pretty much everything from Lost Vikingsand the original Warcraft, to their most current game, Overwatch.
I wasn’t originally going to play Overwatch until it had some extra content or a price drop, but when I started seeing the reviews and fan reaction, I picked it up and only stopped playing long enough to make this Bastion Perler piece. =)
Bastion is a transforming assault robot who is looking for his place in the world a decade after the war he was created for is over. This sprite is based on the “8-bit spray” that is unlocked in a Loot Box for leveling up, and when I unlocked it, I knew I had to make and post this. It took about 6 hours to bead and iron, and I will be posting a video on YouTube of the masking tape prep and ironing.
Perched on his recon rifle is his bird friend Ganymede.
This is the second in the series of the single the single bucket challenge. I have a long term goal of creating ten of these over the next few years. My first piece like this was a simple pattern, and I was thinking the whole time that the houndstooth pattern looked an awful lot like the ships from Space Invaders, and was inspired.
I worked out most of the design from a screenshot found online of the ships in formation, added the Mystery Ship looming large in the background, plotted out the curve of the “Earth” and continents (not to scale). The big challenge here was to use all the colors while creating a design spontaneously.
It took about 25 hours to sort the beads, 30 to lay out the design, and 3 to tape and iron.
Two sheets of Reynolds Parchment paper covered it nicely. Getting read for a long ironing session. It’s stressful as all getout, and I have to switch up arms. Big stack of books on the ready. Yes I have a functional candy machine in my house.I buy these books half off at Goodwill. No I didn’t read the Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh books. =)
Here is part 2 of the Donkey Kong and King Koopa. You check out the guide to prepare them for ironing with the Masking Tape Method here. Let me know what you think of these videos in the comments. =)
I have been making Perler bead art for about 8 months now, and in that span have made about 250 individual pieces of bead-art. I like to make these tutorial videos almost as much as making the beadsprites themselves.
I loved the Ren and Stimpy cartoons and games back in the 90’s. This beadsprite I made was inspired from “The Ren and Stimpy Show: Time Warp” for the SNES.
There was a time when Pac-Man was the most iconic videogame character in America. Some would argue that he still is. There was a breakfast cereal, boardgame with marbles for a plastic Pac-Man to “eat”. Also, the Pac-Family had a Saturday morning cartoon, and a platformer arcade game.
I made this version of Pacman without the goofy hat. If I make him again, I will put the hat back on. I might have fused a little too hot on this, but the flat side came out really good. It’s nearly impossible to keep the black beads from bleeding into the other colors. I think bead height differences might be part of it, or it might be that the black absorbs the heat better and liquefies.
This is the latest in a series of tutorials for building and ironing perler bead creations. There is a focus on the ironing as well as a new method for poking holes. The song in the beginning is written by me, and the other two songs by Silent Partner and Topher Mohr and Alex Elena.
What other tutorials should I make?
Last few days have been super busy. I have had time to put stuff together, tape it up, poke them holes, but not enough time to iron them out. I’m gonna be getting these done later tonight, and maybe even make some of my first few webcomics!
I have a new domain that I will talk about in a few posts, and am working on a whole new project with all of the characters, and most of the set pieces will be made with perler beads. I’m really looking forward to make this idea I have had in the last month into a reality. I don’t know how well the mixed media format of a webcomic, mixed with photography, mixed with a craft art, mixed with videogame culture, mixed with my sense of humor will work, but I intend to put my best foot forward.
Also, I have a time lapse video going on youtube later this week, a new tutorial in the works, and a few other surprises! Stay tuned!
Last weekend, I was inspired to make some more custom beadsprites, and I thought some out of state friends would be good source material. The couple has the same height disparity, and it was easy to remove the Mario mustache, change up the colors, and personalize with a Boston “B” on the hat.
The princess came out perfect on the fuse first try, but “Mario” needed some extra attention, and as a result the finish left some shiny spots. I hate when you have to go for the second pass, and it leaves a “gloss” on the flat side of the creation. In this case, I got some clear fingernail polish from the dollar store to match them out. I don’t think I will be doing this for many of my pieces, but it worked out for this one.
I’ve finished my first set of tutorials using my masking tape method for beadsprites, and posted the HD videos on YouTube! You can see the videos in the links below. Enjoy and post in the comments here, and on YouTube.
- Part 1 : Prep and taping
- Part 2 : Poking, repair, and final inspection
- Part 3 : Ironing
- Part 4 : Cleanup and completion