Here is part 2 of 2.
Here’s part 1 of 2 of my latest YouTube instructional video. This video covers the latest version of the masking tape method I have been using to make the bigger Perler creations.
This is the making of the Overwatch Bastion Perler from the last post.
I’m really happy how good the video turned out, and I did a little different format with slides in the videos. Check it out, I narrate the process and make stupid jokes and stuff! =)
New big project in the works. Gotta finish this up in the next 3 days. I separated an entire bucket again and the plan is to make one single piece with it. (Like I did with this)
I’ve laid out the Invaders, shields and laser cannon from the 1978 game Space Invaders, and was planning on what I would do to fill things in, and haven’t made a final decision, but I am going to get back to work on it now.
I will post the finished project or some more updates soon.
The sign of a busy Perler artist, is a messy kitchen table. I was making some Battletoads, and was taping the surprised toad beadsprite in a hurry and totally ripped his arms and legs off. I have since rebuilt him, but the pic just looks funny like he is in pain and shock. =)
Note the completely full 22k container of black beads. That is the 3rd time I have had to fill it since I started last July. I just got an $80 in to help finish the Final Fantasy stuff. The shark there is the Grey Shark from FF1.
I’ve seen a few different beadsprite build videos on YouTube, but not many where you get to see the entire process unfold from start to end. I made this video as a response to that.
I loved how it turned out. I wanted to have time to write a song for this, but I was running out of time, so I picked a few free songs to use from the YouTube library. I really like the songs and think they fit the video well. The first song, however, is mine. It is a work in progress that I still need to complete before I name.
Tell me what you think in the comments, and please give it a thumbs up on YouTube.
I’ve been really nervous to fuse my biggest creation yet: The WarMech from Final Fantasy.
The last few fuses of the bigger pieces I have done fell apart while ironing, or were otherwise challenging, and I just was avoiding completing it until I was feeling confident. It had been sitting on the kitchen table for the last few days, and I moved it to the couch without issue before dinner earlier in the evening. I had it all the way to the kitchen table, and while setting it down, the boards buckled, and it all came crashing down.
It will be rebuilt, and I will post the results
If you are just moving a board that you have made from one room to another, you just have to be careful as you walk.
If you need to move them longer distances, I have found that it works really well if you take a second board, line it up on the top, and tape it down with masking tape.
I start by taking one corner, taping the top, and then sliding it to the edge of the table and taping underneath, and rotating it 180 and getting the diagonal corner, and then just repeating until it is secure. When they are solid like this, you can even transport them vertically. When you get to the place you will be fusing them, you can just cut it with an exacto knife.
I wanted my first project to be something complex, but not super complex. I knew it was going to be something that wasn’t my best, but I wanted it to be special.
Sonic the Hedgehog is my daughters favorite fictional character. She plays all the video games, sings the songs from the shows and games, and loves her sonic shirts and action figures, and this was for her. My next piece will be for my son.
Anyway, here is Sonic before I ironed him out. The image I used as inspiration didn’t have the green eyes, so that was my artists rendition of it. It isn’t terribly original, but it is a variant. I like it!