New tutorial for the Masking Tape Method posted to YouTube. I’lll be getting the ironing video up sometime next week. Let me know what you think.
I really liked the Bowser sprite when I was checking some sprites forum, and right afterwards, I realized that I had yet to make a proper Donkey Kong. I love the iconic +++ of DK’s teeth, and the angry stomping pose. Bowser looks like’s he’s just told a joke, like a “amirte” pun.
I would love to see a proper game that re-introduces Donkey Kong as the villain, or a game where Bowser is the good guy. I’ve made a video with the ironing process of both of these guys that I will release in the next week or so, as well as some other tutorials, including making fridge magnets and keychains.
I made these, and more for a new Perler refrigerator magnet series that I will give more info on next post. I’m working on some more tutorials, too that should be complete by the end of March.
After making the X-Wing last week, I knew I had to make the Millennium Falcon Perler next. I love the way this one turned out. I added the light blue border to match the color of the thrusters, and to give it some definition. I’m going to try to find some more sample sprites to make more Star Wars related stuff soon. =)
When I was a tween on the California coast in the mid eighties, there were very few articles of clothing that I loved more than my T&C Surf Designs shirts and board shorts. The clothes were stupid expensive compared to the stuff you could get at K-Mart, but I begged to be dressed like the other cool kids at school. I wore them until they were way too tight.
The NES game Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage wasn’t the best skateboarding game ever, but it was on a very short list of games that included “extreme” sports. Skate or Die was the only other one, and it was equally as bad.
Pictured above are Joe Cool, Thrilla Gorilla, and Tiki Man in action. I’m starting to put colored borders on almost anything I make anymore, and I particularly like the neon borders to give these a little extra 80’s flair.
This is from the game Batman Returns for the original Nintendo. I gave it a grey border to match the grey of the Adam West Batman suit, and I like the way that sprites with borders that aren’t the typical “black”.
I remember the first time I saw the Mouser boss battle at my friend’s house and being super impressed. In that time in the 80’s, dark shades like mouser is wearing were what the “cool” kids were wearing, and I wanted a dark pair of glasses like those right away.
I added a neon yellow border to define the borders and give the piece a different quality. I did the same with my Ren and Stimpy beadsprite, and I liked the way that one turned out, to. I have a few other Super Mario 2 sprites , and plan to make more for my wall, now that the Final Fantasy stuff is done.
I finally got around to taking pictures, editing, tagging, and posting my completed Final Fantasy project, and here are the results. =)
Represented are every monster, boss, and hero from Final Fantasy 1 ascending the stairs to my bedroom (185 pieces in total). I estimate it took about 200 hours of work from start to finish over a 16 month period. I didn’t know what I was getting into when I started, but I stuck with it and finished it new years eve 2014.
I have two new big projects for 2015, including a WrestleMania set and 22k bead bucket mural, so I’m not done with this blog by a long shot. Stay tuned.
I had a goal to finish it before the end of the year, and have accomplished that goal. Tomorrow I will start photographing it and getting the pictures posted online. I don’t even know how many hours I’ve put into it, but it’s been over a year in the making.
Keep an eye out on the blog for updates, photos, and video!
I’ve finally done it! I’ve finally made the last of the monsters in the Final Fantasy Perler series. I’ve made 112 monsters, 11 bosses, and all of the warriors of light in 6 poses each; 195 pieces in total. *phew*
I’m also nearly complete with affixing them to the wall up my stairway, and I’m on track to complete it before the end of the year. I have plans to add more pieces to it (buildings, NPCs, and swords/spell effects) over the years, but I am pleased to have achieved 1.0 on this project.
Expect photos and videos in the next few weeks!