I had been itching to make something a little bit bigger than I have made so far. Last posts Bald Bull was one of the bigger ones, and I figured the time had come to make the final boss from Final Fantasy as my biggest Perler creation yet.
I had originally planned to make him last out of all the Final Fantasy Perlers set that I am working on, but I just recently purchased a ton of bags of beads and wanted to do something that posed a challenge, and Chaos was definitely up to the task. I will create another post about this with some of the progress pictures of the steps I had to take to get him completed.
Posed with Chaos is, of course, Garland who I am now realizing hasn’t been posted on this page yet, but was featured on my “indefinitely on hold web comic”, FightMagicDrinkItemRun.com . Also posed are the defeated Warriors of Light, who went to visit Chaos before they were prepared. =)
The sign of a busy Perler artist, is a messy kitchen table. I was making some Battletoads, and was taping the surprised toad beadsprite in a hurry and totally ripped his arms and legs off. I have since rebuilt him, but the pic just looks funny like he is in pain and shock. =)
Note the completely full 22k container of black beads. That is the 3rd time I have had to fill it since I started last July. I just got an $80 in to help finish the Final Fantasy stuff. The shark there is the Grey Shark from FF1.
Here are two more monsters from the Final Fantasy 1 bestiary: the Rock Golem and the Naga. I used the same construction paper background for the photos, and used an ideal place in the house to get natural sunlight, so it looks like I need to start taking more pictures this way, but it requires that I take them around 2pm with the window fully open.
Photography of my Perler art is one of the more frustrating parts of running this blog, but I think I have most of the kinks worked out without throwing a bunch of money at the solution.
I’m getting closer and closer to completing my Final Fantasy 1 beadsprites. I have finally come up with a way to display them, So I really need to get this done in the next few months so I can start work on some other projects.
Here are the Zombie Dragon and the Zombie Bull. The green in them isn’t a perfect match, but it was better than the toothpaste blue color that was a closer match, but too light in color. Back in the day when everyone had only a CRT 480i television, the colors tended to bleed into each other, and the brown and blue together looked green. I like the way both of these came out, and I only have 60 more to go, lol!
It’s been a few days since I have posted anything, so I thought I would post three today to make up for it. Here are the Oddeye, Guard, and Worm from Final Fantasy 1. Two of these are duplicates of the Grey Worm and Big Eye.
I don’t know what to think of the Guard. It kind of looks like a dog in armor.
This is the Bull from Final Fantasy. In remakes of the game, it is called, more appropriately, a Minotaur. I think he has more of a pig face than a bull face, to be honest.
Things have changed up a little with my free time, so the posts may get a little sparse for a short while, but fear not, I’m not even close to giving this hobby up. Apologies in advance if it slows to 2-3 posts a week for a short while. =)
I like that they had some “non fantasy” type monsters in Final Fantasy. This clearly represents some variation on the Tyrannosaurus Rex dinosaur. When I saw one of these for the first time in the game, I didn’t know what to think. Like every other creature, though, it went down after a few swipes of a sword, and a well placed LIT3 spell.
There is one more of these to make, and it’s a blue/light blue combo, so that should be a cool looking one, too.
Dragons definitely made a strong showing in FF1, and they were generally some of the tougher creatures you fought. I like the wings and color palette on this guy.
I posted a picture of my progress on the /r/beadsprites and /r/finalfantasy subreddits and got a ton of positive feedback on this project. Ultimately I am doing this for myself, but it feels really good to have an audience who can appreciate what I’m doing.
I’m realizing now that the Final Fantasy project is going to take longer than I anticipated. I ironed out 5 different pieces last night, and almost made one of the monsters that I made a few months back. I want to get this project done so I can start working on other bigger projects, so I hope to be nearly done in the next 3 months.
This piece is the Grey Worm. Looking at it again, I should have filled in the gap in the middle with black beads. The source sprites I am using aren’t perfect, and I will have to redo one of the bosses I made because it called for “empty spots” that should have been filled in with black as well. The colors on this remind me of a caramel apple kind of. =)
I don’t want to totally pollute the blog with individual links of *all* of my Final Fantasy beadsprites individually. From clockwise is Evilman, Sea Snake, Image, and Catman. The Image got taped on the wrong side, and is mirrored, it should be facing back to the party. You would likely have not noticed this if I hadn’t told you, but, when the other palette swaps on that monster get made, they will be facing correctly.
I have more cool stuff coming up in the next few weeks, including possibly a giveaway if there is enough interest in the comments for one.
Also, I found out that my series on the masking tape method is the #1 search result for the search “Perler” in YouTube . That is a huge achievement for me, at the time of this posting the video has over 6000 views in it’s first five months, and it looks like I am going to hit my milestone of 10k views for a single video soon. =)