I will have more projects posting soon, but I wanted to update the page today, since July 10th is the 4 year anniversary of the beginning of this site. Above is a portion of another big project that I’m working on and plan to be finished with in August.
This is the second in the series of the single the single bucket challenge. I have a long term goal of creating ten of these over the next few years. My first piece like this was a simple pattern, and I was thinking the whole time that the houndstooth pattern looked an awful lot like the ships from Space Invaders, and was inspired.
I worked out most of the design from a screenshot found online of the ships in formation, added the Mystery Ship looming large in the background, plotted out the curve of the “Earth” and continents (not to scale). The big challenge here was to use all the colors while creating a design spontaneously.
It took about 25 hours to sort the beads, 30 to lay out the design, and 3 to tape and iron.
Two sheets of Reynolds Parchment paper covered it nicely. Getting read for a long ironing session. It’s stressful as all getout, and I have to switch up arms. Big stack of books on the ready. Yes I have a functional candy machine in my house.I buy these books half off at Goodwill. No I didn’t read the Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh books. =)
New big project in the works. Gotta finish this up in the next 3 days. I separated an entire bucket again and the plan is to make one single piece with it. (Like I did with this)
I’ve laid out the Invaders, shields and laser cannon from the 1978 game Space Invaders, and was planning on what I would do to fill things in, and haven’t made a final decision, but I am going to get back to work on it now.
I will post the finished project or some more updates soon.
It’s been over a month since I have updated the blog here, and for good reason. This monstrosity is the result of taking a full bucket of 22k beads, separating them, and then making one single piece. There were 22,172 beads in total.
Here is the completed art. I wanted to make something with a simple repeating pattern that would be easy to put together, and Houndstooth is one of my favorite tessellating patterns. (shout out to whomever added Ricky from Trailer Park Boys to the Wikipedia entry).
I started by ordering the colors in ROYGBIV, and then alternating dark and light colors. I think I could have come up with a better color arrangement, but I didn’t want to pain over what the final finished product would be, but simply wanted to get it done.
I ran out of peg boards pretty quick, but fortunately, the local Joann’s had a sale going, so I was able to get everything I needed. The pattern quickly started to expand, and I was only able to estimate how big it would get.
There were way more of some colors than others. Almost twice as many greys as there were yellows.
Just starting the ironing at this point. I knew it was going to take several hours to complete. I started ironing it like a normal “smaller” piece, but quickly determined that I needed to turn up the heat and get it done quickly.
This whole project was quite the undertaking, but I knew the first time would be a challenge, and I would learn a lot from it. I plan on making at least 3 more big Perler bead pieces like this in the future, with different designs, and I am confident they will turn out much better.
I made these, and more for a new Perler refrigerator magnet series that I will give more info on next post. I’m working on some more tutorials, too that should be complete by the end of March.
When I was a tween on the California coast in the mid eighties, there were very few articles of clothing that I loved more than my T&C Surf Designs shirts and board shorts. The clothes were stupid expensive compared to the stuff you could get at K-Mart, but I begged to be dressed like the other cool kids at school. I wore them until they were way too tight.
The NES game Town & Country Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage wasn’t the best skateboarding game ever, but it was on a very short list of games that included “extreme” sports. Skate or Die was the only other one, and it was equally as bad.
Pictured above are Joe Cool, Thrilla Gorilla, and Tiki Man in action. I’m starting to put colored borders on almost anything I make anymore, and I particularly like the neon borders to give these a little extra 80’s flair.
I made a ton of Christmas themed Beadsprites last year, so I’m not going to be able to keep up the pace for this year, but here is the first in the series.
I got the sample sprites from River City Ransom and the Japanese counterpart Downtown Nekketsu Story. I don’t know what exactly is going on in this scene, I was just kinda riffing, and thought it would be funny if one was angrily giving an Xmas present and the other was overjoyed. I don’t know if it really works, but it’s funny none the less.
Days after watching this video, I still have the song stuck in my head, and I love it!
This viral video was created by Casper Kelly and his team over at Adult Swim, and aired at 4am in a timeslot labeled “Infomercials”. (warning, there is blood). =)
Mikki and I made these tonight. I saw something like this somewhere on the internet, probably Pinterest or something like that. If I do this next year, I will do some cooler ones based of video games or something like that. (Although there is one of them based on the game Minecraft.
I think these are super cool, because we can have them for display in the house for a week before carving them. There were a few other eyes, fangs, ect not displayed, but I don’t think they really worked.
If you like these, and are looking for other Halloween ideas, go check out this really cool blog at http://hauntinglyfun.wordpress.com/ . There is a whole section for Pumpkins, and even some links for other “no carve” pumpkins as well as costume ideas and recipes.
–Originally Published on: Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:46