Even after practicing with the masking tape method, and failing with my Excitebike test first, I still thought it would be okay to iron this Butthead anyways. I should have known it wouldn’t work; I just assumed that I didn’t iron it right.
When I got about 2/3 of the way through, I decided that something needed to change.
The reason that these holes wouldn’t close is because the air was getting trapped inside the beads because the masking tape was creating a seal, resulting in an air bubble inside.
The Asp is one of the first creatures in Final Fantasy that can poison you, and early in the game, that can mean certain death, as each step you take after the battle, you lose 1 HP. Other than that, the Asp is entirely unremarkable. =)
When I was putting this one together, I actually bumped it and had to rebuild the borders at least 3 times, and I decided to change out 2 of the 3 colors to make it look right. It can be a challenge when using Perler Beads to get just the right colors. I am considering getting some Hama beads to fill in some of the gaps in the palette.
I got these sprites from a Beavis and Butthead videogame that was on the Sega Genesis. The skull on Butthead’s shirt was my own addition, as the original was blank, and there wasn’t enough room for the AC/DC logo. =)
Butthead didn’t make it through the first ironing. I had tried the tape method, and didn’t properly prepare it. Pictures of the failure Here and Here. Thankfully, I didn’t iron his head, and only had to rebuild the body.
I really like the way that these turned out. These are the tallest Perler’s that I have made so far, and I have confidence that I will be able to move forward with even bigger pieces. Tell me what you think in the comments.
This is the Coctrice from Final Fantasy. I always hated these things, mostly because they can cast petrify on your party, and turn you to stone.
I experimented with some new methods of ironing and building the beads. I actually put the beads in-between the pegs, and not directly on the pegs. The beads don’t have as much room to move, and as a result, the lines end up cleaner. There is very little offset, and only the borders are misaligned, as using the masking tape method can let the edges slip a little.
This is also the first piece that I poked holes in the masking tape to let the beads “breathe” while ironing. I love the result on this, but it took about 3 times longer than it should have. The time it takes to complete will be reduced with practice.
I’ve been working on some new ironing methods that have really improved the quality of my work. This fuse came out really nice. The lined are clean, there’s no smudging, and only the black bordering areas aren’t fully sealed.
One rogue fuchsia bead did make it’s way into the mix, though. It is damn near impossible to discern the difference between the two of them without a really good light source, and a solid background color. Click here for a link to what the two colors look like mixed together. I swear those are two different colors… But, I digress.
The Creep is one of the first creatures in the game that poses a serious threat, and can dish out some serious damage. If you run into one at levels 1 or 2, you might have to use a few spells to defeat it, otherwise you’re gonna have to go back and heal. Later in the game, you just massacre 6 of them with one fir2 spell. Fun stuff.
The Caribe was one of the creatures you would run into a bunch when you first got the anoe in Final Fantasy. The canoe is such a short lived item; basically, you only used it to get to the area that you got the Float Stone that unlocked the airship.
This was one of the first times I tried the masking tape method for ironing, so I chose one of the simpler and smaller monsters to make. I way overdid the fuse on this one. It is excessively melted on the mid-tail area, and the masking tape wouldn’t come off right. Some Goo Gone took care of that, though. I learned a ton from making these mistakes, I’m glad I decided to switch it up.
My girlfriend even got involved and used the small circle Perler board to make a Trivial Pursuit coaster, too. She puts up with having the beads dominate the kitchen table, and we still haven’t found all the beads that scattered when I dropped the WarMech. I love that she gets involved in my hobbies. =)
I know like, most everyone is making Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails Perlers, but I didn’t make these for me, I made them for a for a friend. =) My daughter wasn’t too keen on me giving them away, but she’s coping.
The Sonic was made from a Sprite I found on a website. The colors on it, particularly around the mouth seem weird up close, but if you hold it further away, it looks right. I really like the way his shoes have the effect of a shadow on them. The colors in Tails’ tail are interesting, the way it appears to be blurred in motion.